I have all the potential in the world (if it’s not dependent on good credit or cash flow).
On my preprogrammed radio buttons there is now this newish radio station that is the non-format format kind. Songs you haven’t heard on the radio in a long time but somehow still know the lyrics (like Rock Me Amadeus or Centerfield or Centerfold) played regardless of genre or flow. Normally, I don’t listen to commercial radio and instead commute to NPR, I’m getting dumber daily as I tune into the JAK.
On Monday the jak added a “morning crew” to my great disappointment. I was digging that folks weren’t talking on my commute, you know? But today, day two, the dj was talking about the point at which she started thinking “What was my mom doing at this age” and comparing and contrasting the lives. I’ve been doing that since I was 17, the age my mom was when she got knocked up. Does everyone do this? Is it just kids of divorce or teenage parents? Kids trying desparately NOT to be their parents? Kids who's parent beat it into them they should NOT be like them? The purpose the reflection has served for me is a) deepen the respect I have for what my mother has accomplished and b) take pride in the path I've taken. It was weird to hear someone talk about it on the radio.
The point of the story was to segue into playing “Ruby” by Kenny Rogers. She said it was her mom’s ”anthem” just after her dad took his loving all over town. I started thinking what my anthem would be. The song to which I go to be strong and sad all at once. I’m still thinking on it. Maybe something dramatic needs to happen to shake that shit loose, I dunno. Are there different anthems for different circumstances. Anyone have an anthem all ready to roll should the bottom fall out?
oh...and if it's "I will survive" I just don't want to know that about you.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home